Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey is seeking a candidate to undertake Postdoctoral Fellowship at Computational Neuroscience for the Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine (CABM) at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Reporting to the Principal Investigator, the Post Doc Fellow will use modern computational modeling and data analysis methods to understand the roles of specific inhibitory and excitatory neuron types found in hippocampal microcircuits in controlling spatial learning and memory.
The Post Doc Fellow will work on projects related to nonlinear signal integration and associative synaptic plasticity mechanisms in the dendrites of granule cells in the hipposcampal dentate gyrus, and their regulation by a unique class of excitatory interneurons implicated in epilepsy, the dentate mossy cells. This position is fully funded by NIMH through an NSF-NIH Collaborative Research in Computational Neuroscience research grant awarded to Dr. Milstein. The project is an international collaboration with Dr. Marlene Bartos at the University of Freiburg, Germany. This position represents a unique opportunity to be co-mentored by multiple investigators at the forefront of the field and includes the potential for travel to interact with experimental collaborators and to attend research conferences in the U.S. and Europe.
The incumbent Postdoctoral Fellowship at the State University of New Jersey will be doing the following duties
- Conduct computational neuroscience research.
- Write computer programs to simulate neural circuits.
- Analyze simulated data and experimental data from collaborators.
- Share scientific results with the community by presenting posters and seminars locally and at external conferences, and by submitting manuscripts for peer-review and publication.
- Provide training and mentorship to undergraduate, graduate, and medical students in the Milstein lab.
- Ph.D. in neuroscience, computational neuroscience, bioengineering, computer science, or related field.
- Experience writing computer programs using the language Python.
- Experience writing computer programs to run on parallel computing architectures using MPI framework preferred.
- Similarly, experience in modeling biological neural function and/or plasticity in health and/or disease preferrable.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, commonly referred to as Rutgers University, or RU, is an American public research university in New Jersey. It is the largest institution of higher education in New Jersey.